Thursday, September 18, 2008

Numbers & Bones

Dear Fellow Travelers,

Tomorrow will be our last day of classes! By the time most of you read this, it will be done and over with. Tonight I was writing a family member an e-mail explaining the type of work that we are finishing up tomorrow. I crunched some numbers and came up with the following. *Please note that I did the math for someone taking 9 credits like myself. If you're taking ten, give yourself an extra pat on the back.*

"I just took nine university credits in two weeks. Most people, even fellow university students, don't understand quite how that works so I'll explain it a little. Your average university class will meet for about 3-5 hours a week, for 16 weeks. That equals 64 hours of lecture time, plus an average of 2 hours of library studying per every hour of class lecture. So for an average, 3 credit class one will spend about 192 hours on in 16 weeks. Not bad.
But do the math for my classes. 9 credits, times 64 hours per credit, in 14 days, equals about 576 hours worth of work. w-o-w.
Also, a cool fact I just noticed, these above numbers (with the exception of 14 and 3-5) are all prime numbers. I guess I could call the last two weeks the most prime weeks I've spent in my university career."
Guys, that is pretty outstanding. I think that our group has demonstrated a great deal of maturity, strength, endurance, and a passion for learning as seen in our interactions in class and with each other and our professors. I am really excited to get to Europe and put some cultural flesh on the skeleton of knowledge that we and our amazing tour directors have created!

Europe - here we come!

No comments: